The Garden Wall

baddeddie
Hopefully Nim won't be informing me that Lou wants this wall torn down too!

Early May: The Hosta Bed. Inherited the burning bush (26 years old), weeping cherry tree (5 years old) all those hostas. I removed 2 hosta plants and transplanted starts in another bed out back. Only the green/white hostas have bloomed since I've been here (2012). I added in a variety of salvia flowers in the spots where I'd removed the 2 hostas and added in a lane of celosia flowers in an attempt to add some color this year. Pictures from early May just after redo.

From early July:

"Eye See" said the blind squirrel

Re: The Garden Wall

willy42
looks awesome eddie, with the drought out here we've had to get creative with our gardening.

"...  stay sound my friend(s)."

-willy a.k.a. scott
"...  eyes above the horizon, in the dark before the dawn."

Re: The Garden Wall

deepblue
Looks great Eddie, enjoy it. You Americans have such lovely houses

Re: The Garden Wall

baddeddie
willy42 wrote
looks awesome eddie, with the drought out here we've had to get creative with our gardening.

"...  stay sound my friend(s)."

-willy a.k.a. scott
Well, all those wildfires & such, I just hope you stay safe. We seem to get more than our fair share of rain around here so keeping things up has been fairly easy. A little bit of food to go with the water and some of that magic pixie dust stuff...

Badd Eddie
"Eye See" said the blind squirrel

Re: The Garden Wall

baddeddie
deepblue wrote
Looks great Eddie, enjoy it. You Americans have such lovely houses
I feel very fortunate to be where I'm at. I am in a very nice crime-free, people take care of their properties neighborhood. I'm just now getting the gardens "up to snuff" with the rest of the hood.

Badd Eddie
"Eye See" said the blind squirrel

Re: The Garden Wall

willy42
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
[...]

actually i'm further north from all the wildfires, still feeling the sting of the drought just not as bad as the hills of los angeles or ventura county.  we're still able to grow potatoes, tomatoes, artichokes, strawberries, peaches, grapes, apples, lemons, cucumbers, garlic and apples. not as bad as a drought would make is sound so i'm not complaining. it's just not as aesthetically pleasing as your garden is all

"...  here's hoping you're swell..."

-willy a.k.a. scott
"...  eyes above the horizon, in the dark before the dawn."

Re: The Garden Wall

izarith
baddeddie wrote
Hopefully Nim won't be informing me that Lou wants this wall torn down too!

Early May: The Hosta Bed. Inherited the burning bush (26 years old), weeping cherry tree (5 years old) all those hostas. I removed 2 hosta plants and transplanted starts in another bed out back. Only the green/white hostas have bloomed since I've been here (2012). I added in a variety of salvia flowers in the spots where I'd removed the 2 hostas and added in a lane of celosia flowers in an attempt to add some color this year. Pictures from early May just after redo.

Great job Baddeddie!

A beautiful garden in a beautiful neighborhood! God, I can just imagine how quiet it must be there.

I live in a place where every, noise, and smell is fighting for supremacy, and there is not a plant in sight beyond trampled weeds and trash so it's nice to be taken back into memories of a neighborhood like that by your pictures.

Izzy.
"be excellent to each other"
_"Bill" S. Preston Esq and "Ted" Theodore Logan.

Re: The Garden Wall

baddeddie
<quote author="willy42">
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
[...]

I'd love to see some pictures of the tasty fruits and veggies you are growing dude! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or your stomach for that matter, whoop some pictures on us!

"Eye See" said the blind squirrel

Re: The Garden Wall

baddeddie
izarith wrote
baddeddie wrote
Hopefully Nim won't be informing me that Lou wants this wall torn down too!

Great job Baddeddie!

A beautiful garden in a beautiful neighborhood! God, I can just imagine how quiet it must be there.

I live in a place where every, noise, and smell is fighting for supremacy, and there is not a plant in sight beyond trampled weeds and trash so it's nice to be taken back into memories of a neighborhood like that by your pictures.

Izzy.
Thanks Izzy, I hope one day that will change for you and yours.

Whomever left me these perennial flowers, I thank you very much! They have just started blooming. I really don't know what they are yet.

"Eye See" said the blind squirrel

Re: The Garden Wall

willy42
<quote author="baddeddie">
willy42 wrote
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
[...]

gonna have to wait a bit we just harvested most of them so now it's all barren but i will post some when things grow back

"...  here's hoping you're swell..."

-willy a.k.a. scott
"...  eyes above the horizon, in the dark before the dawn."

Re: The Garden Wall

baddeddie
<quote author="willy42">
<quote author="baddeddie">
willy42 wrote
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
gonna have to wait a bit we just harvested most of them so now it's all barren but i will post some when things grow back
"...  here's hoping you're swell..."

-willy a.k.a. scott
good thing I've developed some patience, looking forward to those pics that can get a person's mouth watering! I eat everything on your list but artichokes, I'm gonna have to try some out.....

"Eye See" said the blind squirrel

Re: The Garden Wall

willy42
<quote author="baddeddie">
<quote author="willy42">
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
baddeddie wrote
willy42 wrote
gonna have to wait a bit we just harvested most of them so now it's all barren but i will post some when things grow back
"...  here's hoping you're swell..."

-willy a.k.a. scott
good thing I've developed some patience, looking forward to those pics that can get a person's mouth watering! I eat everything on your list but artichokes, I'm gonna have to try some out.....

the cool thing about artichokes is if you don't harvest them before they bloom they are really beautiful. poisonous once they do sprout but they have really deep purple petals that glow in the sun before they whither and die. when they are in full bloom everyone that walks by our house stops to admire all the glow.  once they are ready i will share a photo, my gardener is an artist and turned our dead lawn into a fairy garden with a path down the middle.  just so darn awesome.

"...  stay sound my friend.."

-willy a.k.a. scott

p.s. that is such a deep red in your photo...  absolutely gorgeous.
"...  eyes above the horizon, in the dark before the dawn."

Re: The Garden Wall

Phedre

Hi Baddeddie,

Your garden pictures are awesome ! I love the big (un-named) flower, it is heavenly. My neighbor has one in red, she doesn't know the name either.  It must be the Secret Flower.

Thanks for sharing!

Phedre

Re: The Garden Wall

baddeddie
Phedre wrote
Hi Baddeddie,

Your garden pictures are awesome ! I love the big (un-named) flower, it is heavenly. My neighbor has one in red, she doesn't know the name either.  It must be the Secret Flower.

Thanks for sharing!

Phedre
Thanks Phedre for the kind words. I researched the un-named flower and it is the
Hardy Hibiscus. They come in several different colors. The one pictured below is the Dinnerplate Hibiscus. I may have to order some seed for next year.

Some more pics from late summer:

"Eye See" said the blind squirrel